GLAARG Online Exam Session | Testing fee waivers available | Let’s have some fun!
May 21, 2023 (Sun)
Remote session - see session notes
Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group
3 / 20 slots claimed
Notes from the team:
Hello there and welcome to this session! We are excited for you to get licensed and/or upgraded! Please check out the session information below. Do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or requests!
- Available for anyone who wishes to take an US FCC Amateur Radio exam.
- All US license classes (Technician, General, and Amateur Extra) are available to anyone from any state or country.
- Please make sure you have studied sufficiently for any levels you wish to test for. This is not a place to “try” taking the exam without adequate preparation.
GLAARG VEC fees
- GLAARG exam fees are waived for minors (under age 18), full-time students (under age 25), active military, veterans, and GLAARG VEs upgrading to Extra. You may fill out the waiver form if you qualify.
- We will send you an invoice for the $10.00 exam fee a few days before the session. We will also send you an email with information on how to join the session, a link to the waiver form, and information on paying the invoice.
- Please either pay or submit the waiver form as soon as you can after you get the email.
- You can take multiple exam levels under one testing fee if you are prepared to take them. However, we have to charge an additional $10.00 retesting fee to anyone who fails and is allowed to retest, including waived applicants.
FCC application processing fee
- The FCC charges a $35.00 fee for new amateur radio licenses (Technician exams), renewals, and vanity call sign requests before granting them. This fee is in addition to the VEC $10.00 testing fee.
- After successful completion of your exam, GLAARG will send the session results to the FCC, the FCC will process your license application and issue a file number. After the FCC issues a file number, they will send you an email with instructions on how to pay the fee via the FCC CORES system. You will have 10 days to pay the processing fee online.
- We understand that this additional fee is not the most exciting news. The FCC changed the fee structure across several radio license types. Amateur radio is still a wonderful hobby and we hope this will only be a small hurdle. Please let us know if you have any questions!
- A few days before the session, we will email you information on how to attend the session's Zoom meeting as well as pay the testing fee or submit a waiver request.
- We prefer you have the Zoom application installed rather than joining on a web browser. You do not need to pay for or have a Zoom account. Joining the session is free and does not require an account. You should have a stable internet connection, video, and sound.
- We prefer that you have a working laptop or desktop computer with sound and video. If you only have a tablet or some other device, please contact me and we will be happy to work with you.
- You may use a phone or tablet as a secondary device to show us your environment if your main device is not moveable or does not have sufficient camera quality.
- Have a testing environment that helps you focus on taking your exam. It should be clear of study materials and clutter as well as not interrupted by people, pets, or noise. Some effective examples include a porch, bathroom, patio, spare bedroom, or any other clean and private spaces. Get creative!
- If you or someone you are registering for this session is under the age of 13, please fill out the COPPA Parental Consent Form and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.